It is not possible to carry heavy and huge materials by lifting them up in a factory or in a manufacturing site, besides, with every passing day we are encountering problems physically in our life, a reason for this physical inefficiency is our increasing dependency on technology, but to a wide extent, we have solutions to all our problems too.
The fact that with age, movement becomes difficult, joints. And bones start getting weak and it becomes hard for aged. And elder people to climb up and down on a staircase. The solution to this is using a ramp. Ramps can also be used to send across heavy cargo up and down a building.
The efficiency of a good ramp depends upon its slope. In this article, we will discuss how to design and calculate the slope of a ramp. To design and calculate the incline of a ramp, we use incline calculators.
WHAT IS RAMP SLOPE?
A ramp is a surface that is sloped and specially designed for proper who cannot use a staircase. And require external aid to move across the various floors of a building. It is designed for moving wheelchairs or stretchers from one place to anotherr. Or from one floor of the building to the other.
Ramp slope refers to the relationship between the V-shaped angle between the horizontal and vertical distance of a ramp.
The ramp slope plays a very important role in designing the structure of a ramp. Because it establishes a smooth transition between the ground and the ramp. It helps in deciding the speed and obstructions that might be encountered while walking up and down a place.
USES OF A RAMP:
- Ease of movement to aged people: for elderly people, ramps make it easy to move here and there, with age and wear and tear in muscles, it becomes hard for old people to climb the stairs.
- Easy transportation of heavy goods: ramps are a necessity in agricultural areas, the movement of big and huge materials is possible with the help of a ramp without any obstacle.
- Easy movement of disabled people: it becomes difficult for people with disability to move around without help. There is a risk of them falling, tripping, and injuring themselves, ramps can offer them support and security of walking around at a building.
- Gives ease of movement to injured people or problems with joints: for people who are not physically well, are injured or facing problems with joints might find it difficult to climb up and down a staircase, also a staircase is usually a busy platform, where a crowd of people may pose a risk and lead then to a fall, thus, using a ramp for them is a safer option.
DESIGNING AND CALCULATING THE SLOPE OF A RAMP:
The design of a ramp may vary according to the purpose of its construction. And on the basis of various standards set by different governing bodies.
Ideally, the slope of a ramp depends on the distance it is built for.
A ramp should not be too long enough, even if so it should have sufficient breaks in between. So that it has sufficient room for setting the right speed when in motion. Because the slope of a ramp depends upon the length it covers, its maximum length should not be more than 9 meters. So that the slope of the ramp can be such that it does not require an external force to give the wheelchair. Or cargo, for instance, a push and can slide down or up easily across the building.
THE SLOPE OF A RAMP:
As previously mentioned, the slope of the ramp largely is based on the distance it covers.
- If it covers a distance of fewer than 1.5 meters, it should have an ideal slope of 12%.
- If it covers a distance of around 3 meters, it should have an ideal slope of 10%.
- If it covers a distance of around 9 meters, its ideal slope is around 8%.
- The best ratio of having a slope for a ramp is 1:12, which means that for a run of 12 inches on the horizontal axis. The ramp should have a rise of 1 inch on the vertical axis, this ratio remains the same whether the distance rises or falls.
There are many other factors that are taken into account while designing the slope of a ramp. The above data is used to calculate the slope in a general sense. Ramp Slope Calculators ensure that the slope of a ramp should be steep enough to manage the speed of the particle moving across it. While at the same time it should be flat enough to ensure that the article does not lose control over the speed and fall off.
More Reading: Businessesinsiders