25.6 C
New York
Tuesday, July 5, 2022
0 0

Tips for Staying Safe Around Electricity

Read Time:5 Minute, 21 Second

We use electricity all day long to fulfil our certain requirements like running a fan, lighting the tubelights, running our appliances etc.,  , but are we vigilant enough about electrical and appliance safety? Home electrical safety is crucial that cannot be overlooked. According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, 31,000 home electrical fires occur every year, with over 180 incidents of electrocution or electricity-related mishaps that you could have avoided. 

Electricity plays a significant role in our daily lives. We use electricity from electrical appliances, charge electrical gadgets, prepare food, and even entertainment. Though electricity makes our lives easier, it can turn out dangerous if you do not handle it with caution and attention. Electrical-related mishaps in homes mainly occur due to a lack of safety precautions and expertise. Improper use of electrical devices can lead to electrical burnouts, electrocutions, and even fires. 

Hence, you must hire a residential electrician to install and maintain required safety measures while dealing with electricity to ensure the safety of your home and family members. 

Let’s have a look at two of the most common risks associated with electricity-related tasks:

What Are the Dangers of Working with Electricity?

The most common hazard is burning when electricity flows through the body. You should be aware of two different types of burns:

Electrical Burns from Direct Current Exposure:

Electrical burns can arise from a combination of factors, like touching electrically charged objects, putting fingers into plug sockets, or equipment short-circuiting. The damage can be light, moderate, or severe based on the voltage and contact time.

Tissue is usually not affected by power sources less than 500 volts, but an appliance with a voltage exceeding this will cause significant damage to sub-dermal tissues.

  • Thermal Burns from Arc Flashes and En:

Arc flashes occur when powerful high-amperage voltage flows through the air. A significant burst of energy is released when high voltage variations exist across a gap between conductors. Arc flashes can travel several feet and reach temperatures of up to 15,000°C. According to the Industrial Safety and Hygiene News (ISHN), approximately 30,000 arc flash events occur in electric equipment.

Arc flash accounts for roughly 75% of all electrical work injuries, some of which are so severe that the victim requires treatment at a specialised burn centre.

Here are ten precautions listed in our home electrical safety checklist below that every household should be aware of and execute. Always consult reliable electrical contractors if you are unsure about the functioning of an electrical outlet or device.

6 Tips for Staying Safe Around Electricity:

  • Follow the Written Instructions on the device to Ensure Electrical Safety:

“Follow the guidelines” should be at the top of your home electrical safety tips. Understanding how to keep your home appliance safe improves the device’s performance and safety. Stop using equipment that gives you even a little electrical shock until an experienced electrician examines it for defects.

  • Never Connect Too Many Devices into an Electric Socket:

Electrical faults are caused mainly by overloading an electrical socket. Ensure all outlets are cool to the touch, contain safety faceplates, and function. According to ESFI, you can follow these electrical outlet safety precautions:

  • Avoid connecting the appliances to extension cords or multi-outlet converters. 
  • Only use one outlet at a time to plug in a heat-producing device.
  • Only ask qualified commercial electricians to inspect hot outlets.
  • Power strips only add outlets; they don’t increase the power each outlet receives.
  • You can use smart plugs to track outlet power usage and switch off appliances if they become too hot.
  • Replace or Repair Faulty Electrical Wires:

Damaged power cords pose a severe electrical safety issue as they can catch fire and cause electrocution. Examine all power and extension cords for peeling and cracking frequently and repair or replace if necessary. 

Don’t attach or place electrical cords underneath rugs or furniture. Cords under the carpet can tangle and overheat, while furniture can crush cable insulation and damage wires.

If you’re always using extension cords, you may not have enough outlets to meet your needs. Hire a certified electrician in Pakenham who is familiar with electrical safety regulations to install additional outlets in rooms where you use extension cords.

Consider the electrical load a power cord will carry while purchasing one. A cord with16 AWG can handle up to 1,375 watts and use a 14 or 12 AWG cord for higher weights.

Note: The abbreviation AWG stands for “American wire gauge.”. The lower the number, the thicker the cable.

  • Keep Your Used and Spare Cords Clean and Secure to Avoid Damage:

Electrical safety precautions aren’t just when you use power cables; you must store them carefully to avoid harm. Keep power cables out of the reach of kids and dogs (who may chew on or play with the cords). Avoid wrapping wires around items too tightly; this might stretch the power cord and cause overheating. Never place the power cord on a hot surface to avoid damage to the cord’s insulator and wires.

  • Disconnect All Unused Appliances to Avoid Potential Risks:

Unplugging an appliance when it’s not in use is one of the most common electrical safety advice, but it’s also something that’s easily forgotten. Unplugging unwanted appliances saves energy by reducing phantom drain (the energy consumed even when the equipment is not in use) and protects them from overheating and power surges.

It’s not always easy to remember to unplug unused gadgets, but the latest generation of Smart plugs provides a solution by allowing you to set power schedules for each outlet.

  • Ensure the Exhaust Fans Are Clean to Avoid Fire Hazards:

Some appliances include exhaust fans that get dirty or blocked with debris, making them work harder. These clogged fans can reduce the appliance’s lifespan and pose a fire hazard in the home owing to overheating or possibly generating a build-up of hazardous gases that can lead to an electrical fire. Hence, clean the exhaust fans regularly to avoid such dangers.

Looking for Professional Electricians? Contact Direct Point Electrical:

Contact DIRECT POINT ELECTRICAL If you’re looking for skilled electricians in Australia. We always strive to the highest standards to keep your house safe throughout the year. Call us at 1300 317 328 or fill out the form, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Also Read: Tips for Staying Safe Around Electricity.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
3,381FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles