Engineering thought does not stand still, and plumbing manufacturers demonstrate this perfectly, constantly delighting consumers with all sorts of innovations for comfort. As a result, the choice of even such a simple and familiar thing as a shower head can confuse the buyer with a variety of assortment.
What materials are shower heads made from?
And let’s start the conversation with the material of the handheld shower head. This is the first thing buyers pay attention to. For the manufacture of shower head are materials:
1. A plastic shower head is the most budgetary, but not the most durable option.
The advantages of watering cans from this material:
- Lightweight, comfortable to use
- Looks good thanks to the metallic finish
- Will not damage the bathtub and shower tray in case of a fall
- They are not expensive
However, the durability of such products is questionable. In addition, they are prone to mold from constant dampness.
2. Stainless steel is a much smarter choice because:
- She is durable
- It is not subject to corrosion and attacks of bacteria
- Easy to clean
- Looks stylish
Stainless steel shower heads are the best choice
It costs, of course, more expensive than plastic, but the long service life excuses it. Just keep in mind that you should not drop this watering can: it is quite heavy and can damage the coating of the bathtub or shower tray.
3. Non-ferrous metals: bronze, brass, copper. Watering cans with such a coating (and gold is also found) look simply luxurious, are used to create exclusive interiors, cost more than stainless steel watering cans, but have the same advantages and disadvantages. Apart from appearance, they have no additional advantages.
When falling, scratches on plumbing are guaranteed.
4. Metal -plastic is a synthesis of the two previous options, so far a rare guest in showers. The body of such a watering can is made of metallized plastic, so it is light, and the insides are made of metal, so it is durable.
Stone and quartz glass – watering cans made of such materials – an exclusive option. Of course, they are very beautiful and last a long time. The price is appropriate. The best option in terms of durability, cost and consumer qualities can be called stainless steel watering cans.
We recommend that you choose this option if you do not want to change the shower head every 2-3 years.
Choosing a shower head according to the method of attachment
Well, we’ll move on. The next obvious parameter is the method of attaching the watering can. There are only two options: stationary or mobile. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each.
1. Stationary watering cans – from the name it is clear that they have a permanent mount on the ceiling or on the wall. They are connected directly to the water supply, the temperature and water pressure are regulated using a mixer.
The position of the watering can cannot be changed, the maximum that can be done is to adjust the angle of inclination of the water flow, and then only in the case of a wall mount, where a special hinge is provided. They require high water pressure and are inconvenient for people with limited mobility, for washing a child, and also if you need to clean the bath. But both hands are free – and this is the main advantage of stationary watering cans.
2. Movable watering cans give more freedom of action. They can be on a flexible hose or manual. A watering can on a flexible hose is fixed on a vertical bar, on which a movable bracket-holder for a watering can is installed.
With the help of the bracket, you can adjust both the height and the angle of the watering can. The bracket does not have to be movable, there is a variant with a stationary bracket mounting to the wall. And then you can turn the watering can, change the angle of inclination, remove it from the bracket, but you won’t be able to change the height.
3. The hand watering can is not attached to the wall, it is simply connected with a flexible hose to the water supply. This means that when taking a shower, one hand will be busy with you, which is not very convenient, so it is better in this case to attach a holder to the wall.
When making a choice in favor of a manual watering can, hold it in your hands, evaluate how convenient it is. A watering can with a flexible hose is the most functional option. For maximum comfort, it is better to combine a fixed and a mobile shower, this greatly expands the possibilities for additional options, which will be discussed later.
Many closed-type showers are designed exactly like this – both types of watering cans are present. Switching the water pressure from one watering can to another is carried out by means of a lever or button.